Brandeis '69

A place for classmates to reconnect, reminisce, comment or fulminate.

Sunday, May 01, 2005

Trip to Mauritius


Marjorie & Jenney
Originally uploaded by PhoebeJ.
Last year at our 35th Reunion, Marjorie Harrison and I spent some time together. Marjorie suggested I come visit her in Mauritius where she is stationed with the State Department. I took her up on it!

It took awhile to get things together, and I wanted to wait until the weather in Mauritius was favorable. On April 10th, I boarded the big bird for the long (22-hour) trip to Mauritius, an island in the Indian Ocean, a six-hour flight due south the Dubai.

What a great trip! First of all Marjorie was a terrific, gracious hostess and Jenney, her housekeeper, took excellent care of me. And Mauritius is lovely with an interesting history. The Dutch, the French and the British held it at one time or another. (The Dutch famously ate all of the natives, the dodo!) Visit my photo page to see more pictures of this gorgeous island. Given that everyone speaks French and English, getting around was simple, and I feel as if I saw the entire island. Great beaches, beautiful mountain peaks, amazing gorges.

Marjorie's next assignment will be in Malaysia. Guess where I'll be going!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home